Is living with a disability presenting you with new, unexpected challenges? You’re not alone. Every day, people facing a wide range of disabilities are forced to find new solutions to what, for others, are everyday situations. If you feel you have more questions than answers, let us provide you with a few ways to make life easier.
First, identify the problem. Are you having trouble reaching things on the counter? Getting dressed? Preparing meals? When you can pinpoint the source of the problem, it’s much easier to find the tools to fix it.
Second, get tough. Refuse to become overwhelmed by obstacles that are yet to be overcome. Take challenges one at a time, and don’t give up.
Third, seek out good advice. There are lots of great resources for those living with a disability. Start with your physician, physical therapist or social worker. They will be able to suggest specific products or equipment vendors who can supply what you need.
Log on to the Internet to find an online community of people facing similar challenges. Don’t be afraid to ask for advice or post a question. Chances are, you’ll find a caring, supportive environment with people who are willing to help.
Still want more tips? Here are some little tricks that can have a big impact:
- Replace traditional shoelaces with elastic ones. Shoes will be easier to get on and off.
- Put your glasses on a cord or necklace around your neck. You’ll never have to go looking for them.
- Tie cord loops to refrigerator doors, cupboards, door handles and zippers. They’ll be easier to open.
- Try a bowl, not a plate. Food will stay where it’s supposed to.
- Attach a fabric bag to your wheelchair or scooter for storage and easy access.
The team of specialists at Power Mobility and Lifts has more than 35 years of combined experience in the field. We pride ourselves on our superior customer service and our 24/7 availability for onsite repairs. Don’t let living with a disability slow you down. Contact us today to learn how we can help.