Living with a disability that impairs your mobility affects your lifestyle. But choosing the right mobility equipment can optimize your ability to get around and enjoy daily activities. With so many mobility-equipment options on the market, it’s really just a matter of assessing your needs and finding the right solution for your unique situation. Start by asking yourself these questions:
- What is my level of mobility? How much support do I need to conduct my day-to-day activities? Your answers will allow you to pinpoint the basic type of equipment that you’ll want to consider.
- If my mobility were improved, where would I go? Around the block? To the mall? Outdoors on a nature trail? How and where you plan to use your mobility device will determine which design features are optional and which ones are a necessity.
- What is my main form of transportation? Buses and trains easily accommodate wheelchairs and scooters, but not everyone has access to convenient public transportation. Private vehicles are an option but may require modification to handle ramps and lifts. Knowing how you and your mobility equipment will get around is key.
Once you’ve established your personal mobility needs, you can begin assessing which mobility-equipment options are right for you. Here’s an overview:
- Ambulation aids: For those needing minimal support, canes, crutches and walkers are lightweight, easy to transport and highly affordable.
- Manual wheelchairs: Manual wheelchairs are designed to fold up to facilitate transportation. They can be fitted with a power-assist mechanism that makes self-propelling them easier.
- Power wheelchairs: These are fully automated chairs. Running on a battery charge, they can be modified to fit individual needs and offer many seating options.
- Scooters: These devices increase mobility without looking like wheelchairs. Like power wheelchairs, their size requires special transportation considerations.
Still have questions? Power and Mobility Lifts can help you sort through all of the mobility-equipment options available to you. We sell, service and rent a variety of devices that can enhance your mobility, as well as your daily living experience. Contact us today to learn more.
Mobility Equipment image via Shutterstock.