mobility assistance from the va, Phoenix, ArizonaIf you’re a veteran who has mobility assistance needs, the Veterans Administration can help. Whether you were injured in a war, or you’re one of the millions of Baby Boomers who are beginning to have a tougher time getting around, the administration offers diagnostic, prescription and financial assistance.

Getting the mobility equipment that you need starts with a visit to your VA center. Your primary-care provider should refer you for a consultation with clinicians who will evaluate you and determine if you qualify for mobility equipment. After that determination is made, your clinicians will go over your mobility options. You might need an aid as simple as a cane. On the other end of the spectrum, you might require a wheelchair and a vehicle lift. From start to finish, this can be a lengthy process, taking anywhere from three to six months.

After you’ve you’ve gotten your mobility equipment, you can return to the VA regularly for follow-up care.

The Veterans Administration will most likely provide your wheelchair or power scooter. In addition, you may be eligible for a VA grant covering adaptive equipment such as a wheelchair lift or even a vehicle. After you’ve received this type of grant, you have the option of taking a driving rehabilitation program that can help you learn how to enter, exit and drive your vehicle.

Home modification grants covering changes ranging from the addition of access ramps and the widening of interior doors to the installation of grab bars are also available. Qualified vets may receive as much as $60,000.

Navigating the process of obtaining financial assistance for mobility equipment can be confusing. At Power Mobility and Lifts, our qualified staff can help you find answers to your questions. Headquartered in Phoenix, we help clients throughout Arizona, and we’re just a phone call away.

Image via