The Affordable Care Act, also called Obamacare, will mean positive changes for the wheelchair user, as well as millions of other Americans with disabilities.
In the past, many people with disabilities were denied health insurance because of pre-existing conditions, and if they did have insurance, they faced exclusions, benefit limits and even cancellation of coverage.
The Affordable Care Act will make it possible for wheelchair users and others with disabilities to get and maintain insurance coverage. Here are some changes that will affect you:
- Insurance companies will no longer be able to deny you coverage based on your pre-existing condition. Starting in 2014, insurance companies won’t be permitted to charge a higher premium based on a pre-existing condition.
- Insurance companies will no longer be allowed to impose a lifetime dollar limit on coverage.
- States will receive more money for home- and community-based care, which will make it easier for those with disabilities to continue living independently instead of going into an assisted-living or nursing facility.
- The act establishes new standards for medical diagnoses, therefore improving health-care delivery.
- Medicaid coverage will be expanded to include more people.
- If you get sick, your insurance company cannot rescind your coverage just because you made a mistake on your application.
- The act gives you broader access to screenings and well-care services that are co-payment- and deductible-free.
At Power Mobility and Lifts, we understand that affordable health care is a priority, and improved access promises to make life better and easier. In our own way, we strive to make our clients’ lives easier and better by providing top-notch mobility-equipment sales and service. Our product line includes wheelchairs, mobility scooters, vehicle lifts and lift chairs. Based in Phoenix, we serve clients throughout Arizona. Please call us if you have any questions. We’re happy to help.